Student musicians earn trophies, awards
The Marshall Middle School Advanced Band and Advanced Orchestra won the following awards:
- Marshall Middle School won the middle school sweepstakes for the highest average score for a school competing in multiple divisions of the competition. “Sweepstakes” is the highest award given at musical competitions in which placements like first, second and third are given.
- Outstanding Middle School Band Instrumentalist Award was given to Gabrielle Sanchez for her performance on piano in “The Seal Lullaby.”
- Advanced Band was awarded second place in the middle school concert band division.
- Advanced Orchestra was awarded second place in the middle school string orchestra division.
- A plaque commemorating the invitation to the event and thanking the groups for their performances
The annual Forum Music Festivals Judges’ Invitational is an invitation-only competitive music festival that not only gives ratings, but also placement awards to the top three groups in each division, as well as individual awards to featured performers and a sweepstakes award for both middle school competitors and high school competitors. It’s an honor to be invited, and not everyone walks away with a trophy, so even a third-place finish is a huge accomplishment.
To earn an invitation, each school must have received at least one “Gold” rating (their version of “Superior”) at a Forum Music Festival in the past three years, as well as a judges’ recommendation to be invited.
The 2018 Judges’ Invitational featured 43 performing groups. There were 21 middle school groups and 22 high school groups. The judged divisions included concert bands, string orchestras, mixed choirs and chamber choirs. Each of these ensemble categories had a high school and a middle school division. There were six middle school concert bands and eight middle school string orchestras, including Marshall Middle School.
Later, the students attended an awards ceremony at Disneyland, and spent the rest of the day at the famous amusement park.